The ISHLT Academies draw on the wealth of experience and expertise within the Society to deliver high quality educational experiences with the goal of enabling our members to improve and maintain the highest possible standards in the care of patients with advanced heart and lung disease and those undergoing heart or lung transplantation or mechanical support device implantation.
The purpose of the ISHLT Academy is to develop an enduring resource of education in core competencies and masters level expertise in the fields of cardiopulmonary transplantation, mechanical and biological support of the failing heart, advanced lung disease (including pulmonary vascular disease) and cell replacement therapy.
These educational endeavors complement the ISHLT's existing activities in the promulgation of new science, Core Competency Curricula, registry data analysis, guideline statements and monograph publications.
The opportunities provided by the ISHLT Academy are multi-modal and interdisciplinary and are guided by the identified educational needs and 'practice gaps' of ISHLT members.
Academies are scheduled throughout the year to:
- Standardize the scheduling of Core Competency and Master Class Academies.
- Strategically schedule future Academy courses and facilitate better advance-planning
- Facilitate better advance-planning for venue selection, meeting space planning, staff workflow, and volunteer efforts
- Reduce the costs of delivering core competency education to the members
- Encourage the use of recorded educational content by members for Core Competency education
- Further the strategic educational goals and objectives of the Society