Call for Applications for Editor-in-Chief,
The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation (JHLT)
The Official Publication of the
International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (www.ishlt.org) invites applications for Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, (JHLT) (www.jhltonline.org)
This represents a remarkable opportunity for an individual at the peak of his or her career to shape the future of the leading scientific journal in transplantation. JHLT has experienced significant growth under the outstanding stewardship of the current Editor-in-Chief, Mandeep R. Mehra, and the 2018 Impact Factor shows an increase from 7.955 to 8.578. The Society is committed to supporting continued growth over the term of the next Editor-in-Chief.
Finalist candidates will be interviewed at the April 2020 Board of Directors Meeting, with the Editor-in-Chief selected in May 2020. The incoming editor will serve in a transitional capacity with the current Editor-in-Chief of the JHLT, beginning on or around June 1, 2020. The incoming Editor-in-Chief will assume the position of Editor-in-Chief January 1, 2021. The Editor-in-Chief’s term is for 5 years, renewable once at the discretion of the Board. Applications will be accepted at the Society’s Headquarters office until October 1, 2019
JHLT is currently published under a contract with Elsevier that expires December 31, 2021. Evaluation of the publishing contract and potential alternatives will start during 2020 and continue through 2021, hence the new Editor-in-Chief will be involved in future publishing arrangements. The Board of Directors has appointed a JHLT Task Force to assist the Editors and the Board with these critical transitions.
- Background on JHLT
JHLT is published monthly and is currently in Volume 38. In 2018, the journal published 1,478 text pages and a 524-page Supplement (the Abstracts of the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions). The journal receives around 1,000 submissions annually, with time from submission to first decision at 19.5 days. Approximately 12% of papers are ultimately accepted for publication. The journal’s online manuscript submission and peer review system is Editorial Manager. The Editorial Board may be accessed here: https://www.jhltonline.org/content/edboard
JHLT is the official journal of and is owned by the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. ISHLT was created in 1981 at a small gathering of about 15 cardiologists and cardiac surgeons. Today, the Society has over 3,900 members from over 45 countries, representing over 15 different professional disciplines involved in the management and treatment of end-stage heart and lung disease. Members include anesthesiologists, basic scientists, cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, ethicists, immunologists, nurses, pathologists, perfusionists, pharmacists, pulmonologists, tissue engineers, transplant coordinators, and infectious disease specialists. The Board of Directors may be accessed here: https://ishlt.org/about-ishlt/board-of-directors/board-of-directors-composition
- Aims and Scope
The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, the official publication of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, brings readers essential scholarly and timely information in the field of cardio-pulmonary transplantation, mechanical and biological support of the failing heart, advanced lung disease (including pulmonary vascular disease) and cell replacement therapy. Importantly, the journal also serves as a medium of communication of pre-clinical sciences in all these rapidly expanding areas.
- Description of Responsibilities
The Editor-in-Chief shall strive to:
The Editor-in-Chief reports to and will be evaluated periodically by the ISHLT Board of Directors, using criteria established with the EIC, including strategic direction, metrics, and success of the journal.
- Publish the most authoritative, impactful and highest quality articles within the journal’s scope
- identify emerging areas of importance and actively solicit the best work being done in those areas
- Promote the scientific exchange of ideas to advance the field of advanced heart and lung disease management
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for:
- Working with the Managing Editor to provide exemplary service during the peer review process to authors, reviewers and Editorial Board members
- Creating and leading an Editorial Board that is representative of the diversity of the Society’s membership and provides for delegation of responsibility and authority as appropriate
- Arranging appropriate, timely, and efficient peer-review procedures for the contributions submitted for publication in the Journal, and utilizing the manuscript tracking system provided by the publisher
- Implementing and enforcing a clear and transparent conflict-of-interest policy for the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors, Editorial Board and manuscript reviewers, including securing from all members of the Editorial Board annual conflict of interest disclosures and submitting his or her own Conflict of Interest statement annually to the Executive Director of the ISHLT
- Participating in the selection process for potential future publishers along with the JHLT Task force, ISHLT Executive Director, and current Editor of JHLT
- Receiving, evaluating, and selecting the content submitted for publication in the JHLT
- Developing and implementing improvements and promptly responding to communications regarding the JHLT
- Working with the Society and the Publisher to develop strategies for editorial development of JHLT, including deploying electronic features available through the Publisher’s journal website, developing plans and strategies to attract the most impactful science in support of the journal’s Impact Factor and other success metrics, and attending strategy and planning meetings arranged by the Society or the Publisher.
- Preparing an annual or semi-annual report to ISHLT Board of Directors, showing the acceptance rate, rate of submission, origin of submitted and accepted papers, time lag to first decision and final decision, and other statistics that will indicate the health of the journal.
- Maintaining full and transparent communications and a positive working relationship with the Society’s Board of Directors, staff and the journal’s publisher
- Ensuring that his or her conduct conforms to the highest standards of professional conduct and scientific integrity, is consistent with all applicable laws and regulations, and reflects positively on the ISHLT; and promoting the same standards of conduct by the Associate and other members of the editorial team.
- Cooperating with and being responsive to oversight from the ISHLT Board regarding journal operations that impact the Society as a whole and the Board’s fiduciary, legal, and regulatory obligations
- Criteria for Interested Candidates
The successful candidate will be a well-published scientist with considerable relevant research and clinical experience. An earned doctorate degree is required. The successful candidate must have intellectual vision, bold scientific judgment, be widely recognized as a leader in the discipline, and be able to commit to spending 10 – 20 hours per week on editorial responsibilities for JHLT.
Applicants should provide a 3 –5 page statement of interest in this position, three letters of recommendation from knowledgeable colleagues, a letter of support from the applicant’s institution and a current CV, including evidence of fulfillment of the following criteria:
- Academic and Publishing Record – Evidence of strong academic achievement and a robust list of publications in relevant fields.
- Editorial Experience – Experience as an Editor, Associate Editor, or Editorial Board Member of one or more scientific journals in related fields.
- Content and Format Development – Personal statement (vision) on developing the journal’s content, through the editorial structure and process, outreach to authors, and strategic development of the journal.
- Candidates for the Position:
- May have a background in any area of advanced heart and lung disease management
- Must be willing and able to commit 10-20 hours weekly to activities of the journal
- Must have excellent communication, writing and editing skills
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of the broad scientific landscape which ISHLT encompasses and the future direction of the field
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of statistics and statistical methods
- Must have demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- Must be detail oriented
- Must be thorough and have excellent follow-through on all pending matters
- Must be committed to the growth and improvement of the JHLT
- Must be responsive to the JHLT readership
- Must be committed to maintaining a Journal whose content is representative of the diversity of the Society’s membership
- Previous editorial experience is strongly preferred
- Seniority in the field is preferred
- Other Requirements for Applicants
Candidates must provide evidence of their institution’s willingness to support the Editor in Chief through release time and the provision of general support.
ISHLT provides for a competitive stipend to cover costs associated with the operation of the Editorial Office, including a stipend for the Editor.
- Additional Questions
For additional questions or clarifications, candidates can directly contact Joseph Rogers, MD, Chair, JHLT Search Committee, at Joseph.Rogers@duke.edu
To request the full job description, please contact Amanda Rowe, Executive Director, at Amanda.Rowe@ishlt.org
Deadline for Application: October 1, 2019
Send applications to:
The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
14673 Midway Road, Suite 200
Addison, Texas 75001