International Traveling Scholarship
This award will not be offered in 2019.
The purpose of this award is to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and techniques regarding heart and lung transplantation and the treatment of end stage heart and lung failure and to build relationships between individuals, institutions, and countries. The Scholarships may be used to learn new techniques in the clinic, operating room, or laboratory or just to experience first-hand how others deal with challenging problems.
It is anticipated that each Scholarship will be for up to one month, however no absolute time is stipulated. Visits of less than 2 weeks will not be funded. The funding may be used for travel, accommodation, and/or subsistence for the recipient, with a maximum of $100 per day for food and accommodations. The funding may not be used to cover other costs, such as accompanying family members or salary, nor to cover any associated costs borne by the recipient's home institution, such as for the back-filling of clinical duties or for indirect costs/institutional overhead.
The ISHLT will fund a maximum of annually in an amount up to $6,000 each. These awards are open to any member of the Society, in any country. They represent a unique opportunity for garnering fresh ideas and collaborative work across the globe.
There are two
submission deadlines annually: June 1
and December 1
at 11:59 PM Eastern.
Applicants will be informed of the decision within 1 month of the application deadline.
- The applicant or the applicant's department head at either the home or host institution must be a member of the ISHLT in good standing at the time of application, and the award recipient must be a member of ISHLT prior to funding.
- The applicant cannot be in a temporary position (<1 year). The goal of the award is to facilitate the international interchange of knowledge and experience. Therefore priority will be given to trans-national and international interchange.
- The funded visit must begin within 6 months of notification that the recipient has been selected to receive the award.
- Award funding will be provided no more than 30 days prior to the initial date of travel.
- The duration of the visit for which funds will be used may not be less than two weeks. The funds must be used for the purpose described in the application and may not be used to supplement other funding received for the same purpose.
- Funding will be awarded in two parts. Up to $5,000 will be awarded upon receipt of the initial funding request. The remaining funds will be awarded after the receipt of a final report and a second funding request form.
- A report detailing the funded experience and what was accomplished and learned must be submitted in writing to ISHLT within two months of the conclusion of the visit. ISHLT may choose to publish the report in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, the ISHLT LINKS newsletter, or on the ISHLT website.
- ISHLT must be acknowledged as a funding source in all publications and presentations derived from the Scholarship via the following statement, "This work was supported by a travelling award from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation." Copies of any such publications must be submitted to the ISHLT Headquarters office.
- An accounting of how the funds were used must be provided to ISHLT within 2 months of the conclusion of the visit. Unused funds must be returned to ISHLT.
- Funding will be made to the recipient's home institution. No payments will be made directly to the recipient.
- The award recipient and the award recipient's home and host institutions agree that the funds will be expended for the purpose(s) described in the application, that there is no duplicate funding for these purposes, and that no portion of the award will be used to pay for indirect costs or institutional overhead.
- No individual may receive more than one award per year.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Megan Barrett at 972-490-9495 or firstname.lastname@example.org