In order to enhance the Board of Directors' ability to manage the affairs of the Society, the activities of the Society conducted outside the auspices of the Committees shall be divided among the Scientific Councils established by the Board. Each Scientific Council shall be governed by an Operating Board and a Chair, who shall be responsible for the day-to-day application of policies established by the Board of Directors, and who shall submit periodic written and oral reports to the Board of Directors.
The standing Scientific Councils of the Society shall be:
Council Chair: Kimberly L. Gandy, MD
Council Chair: Monica Colvin-Adams, MD
Council Chair: Fernanda Silveira, MD
Council Chair: Manreet Kanwar, MD
Council Chair: Ulrich P. Jorde, MD
Council Chair: Samantha J. Anthony, PhD, MSW
Council Chair: Carmela D. Tan, MD
Council Chair: Janet N. Scheel, MD
Council Chair: Tamara E. Claridge, PharmD
Council Chair: Mardi Gomberg-Maitland, MD, MSc
Council Chair: Michael Mulligan, MD
- The Board of Directors may establish or discontinue any Council or Council Workforce by a majority vote.
- Each Council shall be governed by an Operating Board, which shall consist of a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and a Past Chair, plus the Leader of each Council Workforce.
- The Chair, Vice-Chair, and Past Chair shall each serve a three-year term, rotating from Vice-Chair to Chair to Past Chair each year.
- The Vice-Chair shall also serve as Secretary.
- Each year at the Annual Meeting in April, the members of each Council shall elect one person to fill the position of Vice-Chair of each Council.
- The Leaders of the Council Workforces shall be appointed by the Chair, Vice-Chair and Past Chair for three year terms.
- The Council Chairs shall be responsible for oversight and direction of their respective Council Operating Boards and Workforces.
- The Council Chairs shall submit regular written or verbal reports to the Board of Directors outlining the progress of their respective Councils and Workforces, and shall be authorized to call and preside at meetings of their respective Operating Boards. The Council Chairs shall not be members of the Board of Directors.
- Each Council Operating Board will be responsible to the Board of Directors.
- Each Council shall include the Workforces/Liaisons the Chairs deem necessary. Each Workforce/Liaison is responsible for addressing Society activities within one or more specified areas of endeavor. The various Workforces/Liaisons which may be created within each Council are as follows:
Not every Council is required to have each of the above Workforces but instead should include only those Workforces that best suit its purposes. Councils may, upon approval of the Board, create additional Workforces specific to the needs to their particular Council. Each Workforce is required to have at least one Leader appointed by the Council Chair, Vice-Chair, and Past Chair for a three year term. Workforces may have additional members as deemed necessary by the Council Chair, Vice-Chair, Past Chair, and Workforce Leader. Whenever possible, broad geographic representation is to be achieved within each Workforce. The Workforces shall serve as a resource for their respective ISHLT Committees. The Leader of each Workforce shall serve on the Operating Board of the Council.
- Education Workforce
- Professional Standards and Guidelines Workforce
- Communications Workforce
- Registries and Databases Workforce
- Development Liaison