Boards & Committees - Governance
The Governance Committee shall be chaired by the immediate Past President. The President and President-Elect will serve as members of the Committee. The Chair shall appoint four additional at large members to serve staggered three year terms, subject to approval by the Board of Directors and renewable once.
- One of the at large members shall be a Past President who, ideally, served in that capacity within the past five years.
- Three of the at large members shall be selected from among Board members whose term has ended during the past three years.
- All at large members shall possess strong governance skills.
- Develop a matrix of desirable Board qualities and characteristics
- Annually assess the Board's current qualities and define gaps in Board skills that need to be filled during the nomination process
- Annually work with staff to develop / review / revise / update the Call for Nominations to reflect Society needs and facilitate the nomination of the best people for the Board and other leadership positions
- Prepare a slate of Officers in accordance with the vacancies to be filled and selected from among the current and past Board members
- Prepare a slate of Directors in accordance with the vacancies to be filled and selected from among the nominations received from the members
- Present the slate of Officers and Directors to the Board of Directors for review at a meeting or telephone conference call held prior to the annual business meeting. The Board of Directors may modify the slate as they see fit to insure that the needs of the Society are met.
- Communicate the slate of Officers and Directors to the members at least 30 days prior to the annual business meeting
- Present the slate of Officers and Directors to the members at the annual business meeting for a vote
- Work with staff to develop / review / revise / update at least every three years the job descriptions for:
o Board Liaisons
o Committee Chairs
o Council Chairs
o Council Workforce Leaders
- Annually develop / review / revise / update the Board and Leadership Orientation program
- Annually conduct an orientation of new Board members, Committee Chairs, and Council Chairs
- Develop a plan for and ensure that the board engages in self-assessment at least annually
- Develop a plan for and lead the annual board retreat.
- Provide insight and guidance regarding Board governance issues that require attention, including revisions needed to the Society's organizational structure, intra-organizational reporting and communication, etc.
- Assist the board in developing a plan for handling unanticipated changes in key leadership / staff
- Develop, monitor, and revise criteria and a process for the nomination / selection / election / appointment of candidates for Council leadership positions
GOVERNANCE COMMITTEECOMMITTEE CHAIR
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI, USA
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
University of Pittsburgh/Presbyterian
Pittsburgh, PA, USAteutebergjj@upmc.edu
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC, USA
email@example.comAT LARGE MEMBERS:
Orlando, FL, USA
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Cleveland, OH, USA
St. Louis Children's Hospital
St. Louis, MO, USA
GOVERNANCE COMMITTEEAT LARGE MEMBERS: