Boards & Committees - Education
Education Committee COMMITTEE CHAIR:COMMITTEE VICE CHAIR:2016 SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM CHAIR:2017 SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM CHAIR:2016 MASTERS LUNG ACADEMY PROGRAM CHAIR:2016 CORE HFTX ACADEMY PROGRAM CHAIR:2016 MASTERS MCS ACADEMY PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:2016 CORE MCS ACADEMY PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:BOARD OF DIRECTORS LIAISON:COUNCIL WORKFORCE LEADERS:
In Montreal (April 2013), the Board of Directors unanimously adopted a strategy policy for ISHLT Educational Affairs.
For the , a curriculum process
has been introduced. Designated extra-curricular events and other learning modules will provide complimentary options (separate from the ISHLT Academy).
A conceptual framework and a clear process to align all of the existing and any planned educational activities has been devised. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the strategic plan and terminology.
Chris Wigfield MD MD FRCS(C/Th)
Educational Affairs Director, ISHLT
- The overall educational strategy for the Society shall be implemented by the Medical Director of Educational Affairs. The Medical Director of Educational Affairs shall be selected by the Board of Directors following an application and interview process. The term is for 5 years, renewable for one additional year at a time for a maximum term of 10 years. The Medical Director shall receive a stipend of $20,000 per year. The Medical Director shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and as the Chair of the Education Committee.
- The Education Committee shall be chaired by the Medical Director of Educational Affairs. The leader of each Scientific Council Education Workforce shall serve on the Committee.
- The Annual Meeting Scientific Program Chair, the Annual Meeting Scientific Program Chair-Elect, and the Chair(s) of the current and incoming year’s educational activities shall serve on the Committee.
- The Medical Director may create an Education Task Force to address special projects of the Education Committee. The Medical Director may appoint up to five Task Force members to serve two-year terms, renewable once.
- Education Committee and Education Task Force Members may not serve on the Annual Meeting Program Committees.
- Ensure that the educational activities of the Society meet ACCME requirements as well as those of other medical education program accrediting bodies as directed by the Board of Directors.
- Identify the ongoing practice gaps and educational needs of the Society's members.
- Develop strategies and plans for the delivery of educational programs and services that meet the identified educational needs.
- Ensure that planned educational programs and services have content and learning objectives that meet the identified educational needs.
- Evaluate the quality of ISHLT's educational programs and make recommendations for improvements and changes to future content and format.
- Develop criteria to which all ISHLT educational programs must adhere, to include the following: content and speaker selection standards; endorsement of educational programs by other organizations; development of educational programs jointly with other organizations.
- Review educational program proposals developed by the Scientific Councils and make recommendations regarding revisions necessary and/or required to meet ISHLT’s educational standards.
- Refer discipline-specific proposals for educational programs to the appropriate Scientific Council Education Workforce for development into formal proposals.
- Act as liaison between the Scientific Council Education Workforces, the proposed educational program chair(s), and the Board to facilitate the development of well-structured education program proposals to the Board, with appropriate budget proposals.
- Evaluate requests from other organizations for ISHLT to co-sponsor or endorse educational programs and make recommendations to the Board of Directors for action.
- Act as liaison between the Scientific Council Education Workforces and the Annual Meeting Program Committee to facilitate the development of well-structured proposals for the Annual Meeting Program Committee's consideration.
- Act as liaison with the Editor of the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation regarding the publication of any proceedings from such meetings.
EDUCATION COMMITTEE APPOINTED AD HOC MEMBERS:
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama, USA