The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) is a not-for-profit, multidisciplinary, professional organization dedicated to improving the care of patients with advanced heart or lung disease through transplantation, mechanical support and innovative therapies via research, education and advocacy.
- To associate persons interested in the fields of heart and lung transplantation, end-stage heart and lung disease, and related sciences.
- To encourage and stimulate basic and clinical research in these disciplines and to promote new therapeutic strategies.
- To hold scientific meetings featuring presentations and discussions relevant to these disciplines.
- To sponsor a scientific journal for the publication of manuscripts related to these disciplines.
- To establish and maintain an international registry for heart and lung transplantation.
- To award research grants and establish endowments for the study of these disciplines.
ISHLT was created in 1981 at a small gathering of about 15 cardiologists and cardiac surgeons. Today we have over 3000 members from over 45 countries, representing over 15 different professional disciplines involved in the management and treatment of end-stage heart and lung disease. This multinational, multidisciplinary mix is one of the biggest strengths of the Society. It brings greater breadth and depth to our educational offerings and provides an exceptional environment for networking and exchanging information on an informal basis.
Our members include anesthesiologists, basic scientists, cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, ethicists, immunologists, nurses, pathologists, perfusionists, pharmacists, pulmonologists, tissue engineers, transplant coordinators, and infectious disease specialists. Despite their differing specializations, all ISHLT members share a common dedication to the advancement of the science and treatment of end-stage heart and lung disease.
Please complete the Membership Application (available on our page) and join us in our endeavors.